Monday, August 14, 2017

Bags of Fun Mixed Media Tutorial by Emma


Greetings to you, crafty friends!  Emma here, and today I am going to share a little mixed media piece using one of these wonderful SRM linen & lace bags, enhanced with lace.  They have a wonderful texture, which is just perfect for an art journal page.


 I know that being faced with a blank page is pretty daunting when beginning a mixed media piece.  The trick is to remember that you can build layers of colour, stamps, texture and embellishments to create your page.  This type of art isn't supposed to be "perfect", as it is a reflection of your current mood, or the inspiration you found.

To start, I picked some supplies to go with the linen bag:


Here, I have 4" white lace doilies, green jute twine, 2" punched scallop circle, and two stamp sets, Big Hello and Bible Backgrounds.  I really love the images on the backgrounds stamp set, especially the clouds!


To build the colour of the background, I have used Marvy ColorIn Watercolor Pencils.  


They blend beautifully!


 Now, to use the stamps to build up other elements in the background.  I used the clouds, springs and arrows in random areas.  Then, I stamped and embossed the 'hello' using white embossing powder.


Now, I have added the linen bag (I used strong double-sided tape such as SookWang to hold it down).  Bursting from the bag are three paper doilies, that have folded into tube shapes and embellished with a little gold and copper gilding wax.  This really makes the texture in the doilies pop!  Lastly, I created a flower shape with the scalloped circle, and added petals and a bling rhinestone to the centre.  The green jute serves as a stem for the flower.


 I hope you've enjoyed my mixed media project, and that it inspires you to try something like this too!  It's so fun to let your creativity run wild.  (PS - I heard you can even use these linen bags to put things in, too!  So versatile! 😉)


Best wishes to you all! 
Emma 


No comments: